The Russian spiral is a variation of the netting stitch you used to create :
and consists of collapsed diamond shapes. As a consequence, the Russian spiral is supple and can easily be used to create bracelets and necklaces.
The use of faceted beads in three colors will make it easier to understand the structure, but you will have to pay special attention when adding the colors as they will vary in each round.
Supplies for the Russian spiral rope:
- 3x3 mm fire-polished Czech beads in three colors to create a smooth color wave: color A, color B and color C
- suggestion: choose color B in 'stronger' more pronounced shade
- 11/0 seed beads in a contrasting color to accentuate the spiral shape
- needle, thread and scissors
- toggle and beading mat.
Weaving instructions for the Russian spiral rope:
- pick up 2x seed beads, 1x color A, 2x seed beads, 1x color B, 2x seed beads, 1x color C
- leave a generous tail thread of about 15 to 20 cm
- create a circle by going back thru all the beads and continue moving on till the middle of the second pair of seed beads
- to summarize, go thru all the beads and thru the 4 following beads
- round 2: pick up 1x color B and 2x seed beads and skip a seed bead and fire-polished bead to pass the needle thru the first seed bead of the next pair of seed beads in order to reach the middle of that pair of seed beads
- push the beads upwards and tighten your thread
- pick up 1x color C and 2x seed beads and pass the needle thru the 1st seed bead of the following pair, this corresponds to the seed bead behind the fire-polished bead, to reach the middle of that pair of seed beads
SEE part 2